Pitt Street House
Visit this old building - originally a labourer’s cottage at Parkes Sawmill in Knysna - for our exhibition about the South African War
The little Pitt Street House was one of three originally erected for workers at Parkes Sawmill (now the Woodmill Lane Shopping Centre). When all three were relocated in 1998 to make way for a new development, the Parkes family donated this one to the Knysna Museum. It now houses our display about the South African War (Anglo-Boer War, 1889 - 1902).
More info coming soon
- We’re busy building this site (June 2017) - please visit again soon for more information about the Pitt St. House.
- Pitt St. House (behind Millwood House), corner Queen Street & Clyde Street, Knysna
- Latitude, longitude -34.037275, 23.050865
- From Knysna Central: drive eastwards on Main Street towards Plettenberg Bay. Turn right into Queen Street at the stone church (St. George’s Anglican Church); you’ll find the Pitt St. House behind Millwood House. Enter via Millwood House.
Knysna museum hours
- Mondays to Fridays: 9.00 a.m. to 4.00pm
- Saturdays: 9.00 a.m. to 12.00pm
- Curator: Melanie Groenewald
- Telephone: +27 (0)44 302 6320
- Email: [email protected]