Parkes Shop: our forestry heritage
Visit this old shop (dating from the early 1900s) for our exhibition about the history of the timber industry in Knysna
The Parkes Shop - behind Millwood House in Queen Street - houses displays about the history of timber in Knysna. Here you'll find stories about the woodcutters, the timber merchants, the trees of the forest, etc.
More info below
- Please see the links below for stories about the Knysna Forests and the people who worked in them in the 19th and early 20th Centuries.
- Parkes Shop (behind Millwood House), corner Queen Street & Clyde Street, Knysna
- Latitude, longitude -34.037275, 23.050865
- From Knysna Central: drive eastwards on Main Street towards Plettenberg Bay. Turn right into Queen Street at the stone church (St. George’s Anglican Church); you’ll find Parkes Shop behind Millwood House on your left on the corner at the T-junction. Enter via Millwood House.
Knysna Museum hours
- Mondays to Fridays: 9.00 a.m. to 4.00pm
- Saturdays: 9.00 a.m. to 12.00pm
- Curator: Melanie Groenewald
- Telephone: +27 (0)44 302 6320
- Email: [email protected]
The Parkes Shop story
This Victorian-era building was built as a commissary for the workers at Parkes Sawmill, and was moved to its current position next to Millwood House in its hundredth year.
The Knysna Forests
The story of the Knysna Forests - from exploitation to conservation
The story of the people who harvested the timber from the early 1800s to the late 1930s
The timber merchants
Two companies dominated the timber economy - and, indeed, much of the general economy - of Knysna in the late 19th Century and well into the 20th Century: Thesen & Co., and Geo. Parkes & Sons Ltd.
These are their stories.
Timber products in the early days
How were the different timbers used in the 19th and early 20th Centuries?
The trees they harvested
Economically important trees in the Knysna Forests in the 19th and early-20th Centuries
The Coffee Pot Railway
The story of Knysna's beloved narrow-gauge railway (1907 - 1949) - with actual footage of the train in action!
Books & movies about the Knysna Forests
A brief look at the literature inspired by the Knysna forests